Major (BA) Requirements
The major provides students with a broad understanding of sociology through dynamic coursework across a range of topics. Students should contact the undergraduate advisor for any questions regarding program requirements or if they are interested in majoring in sociology.
- Learn more about our exciting major concentrations.
Students must complete 30 upper-division (300/400-level) SOC course credits.
1) Required Courses:
- SOC 300: Principles of Sociological Inquiry (4)
- SOC 321: Survey of Sociological Theory (3)
2) Methods/Statistics Requirement (one course from):
- SOC 475: Analysis in Survey Research (3)
- SOC 476: Social Statistics (3) and SOC 476L: Social Statistics Laboratory (1)
- SOC 478: Analysis in Field Research Methods (3)
3) Elective SOC Courses (to complete the 30 credit requirement)
- 300/400-level, with at least three 400-level courses (including the Methods/Statistics course above).
- SOC 100 or a 200-level UH Mānoa SOC course (or equivalent) is the prerequisite for 300-level SOC courses.
- SOC 300 is the prerequisite for the 400-level SOC courses.
- All major courses must be taken for a letter grade unless they are only offered as Credit/No Credit.
- Prerequisite courses and all courses used for the major must be passed with a grade of C (not C-) or better.
- The lower-division SOCS 225: Statistical Analysis for Social Sciences (3) may be used to fulfill the Methods/Statistics requirement, but students will still need to complete three 400-level SOC courses. However, students are encouraged to take SOC 475 or SOC 478.
- A maximum of three credits of SOC 499: Directed Reading or Research may be counted toward the major.
- A maximum of three credits of SOC 494/SOCS 489: Social Sciences Internship may be counted toward the major.
To graduate from UH Mānoa with a BA in Sociology, students must complete 120 credits overall, with 45 upper division (300- or 400-level) credits. A minimum of 30 credits must be taken at UH Mānoa. In addition to the total credits requirements, students must also:
- Satisfy the General Education Requirements (Foundations and Diversification)
- Satisfy the Manoa Graduation Requirements (Focus and Hawaiian or Second Language)
- Satisfy the requirements of the Sociology major.
The Sociology Program Sheet offers a comprehensive list of all of the requirements for a BA in Sociology. The requirements listed in the Sociology Program Sheet correspond to those listed under the STAR Academic Essentials tab.